[LINK] UK publicly funded research free to read

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Dec 29 08:23:35 AEDT 2011

On 24/12/11 01:27, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> ... UK to make publicly funded research free to read 09 December 2011 by Andrew Purcell  ...
> http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/innovation/docs/i/11-1387-innovation-
> and-research-strategy-for-growth.pdf

The Australian Research Council encourages, but does not require, Open
Access publishing of results and data:
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/juliet/index.php?fPersistentID=15

One issue here is who will pay for paper publication. If the cost of
publication is not covered by subscriptions, then the next most obvious
source is the authors. That is you have to pay to have your paper
published. This happens for conferences already, as the proceedings are
covered in conference fees.

Paper versus on-line publishing is a non-issue in terms of academic
status. For years ACS has been publishing conference proceedings, with
conferences paying the cost and paper copies as an option: http://crpit.com/

Another option is advertising, which appears in some research journals.

The issue of open access for publications seems to me to be just about
settled, with open access becoming accepted. The new frontier is access
to data the research is based on. Some disciplines, such as astronomy,
freely share their data, whereas others do not.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/