[LINK] Broadband for a Broad Land

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Jan 3 14:52:21 AEDT 2011

I think you are correct Richard, I used to calculate each "hop" as being
34 ms. Therefore 10 hops on a single ISP with older style routers
attempting to define a set of QOS rules adds 340 ms latency to each
packet.

Fibre will eliminate some latency, mainly the digital to analogue
switching of layers 1-3. Unfortunately the physical across the pond
transit will remain the same. Therefore persons currently connected to
DSL at Broadway exchange [there are none] will notice zero
differentiation. Those connceted to Bigpond at Paddington will save
about 132 ms and others various.

All up, from a time saving perspective, the NBN will save Australians an
average of approximately three seconds per hour (x 8 million surfers =
10,000 minutes per day - which if we calculate that using the koltai
leisure minutes calculator is valued at around $25,400 per day which
should obviously be included in the business case on the basis that:

Power is saved as results are received faster; ergo persons browse for
shorter time or;
Persons browse for the same time, obtain more results faster and become
smarter; [countries IQ goes up]

Either way, the NBN has a beneficial hedonic value that possibly may
have been overlooked in the cost bnenefit analysis.

TomK