[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 10 20:24:31 AEDT 2011

At 5:32 PM +1100 on 10/1/11 you wrote:
>Frank,
>
>I'm still interested in why *all* the blame for price differential is
>laid at the feet of the retailers. Why do we let the vendors /
>manufacturers off the hook?

It isn't Rich ... but the retailers were the ones who decided to run
the PR campaign, and avoid the Productivity Commission oversight
(which I think will find a few interesting things if they dig down
enough).

If the retailers don't value add. If they don't serve a purpose at
their point of the supply chain viz-a-viz the customer, they they are
simply parasites on the supply chain. Now that comes down to customer
service. That comes down to backing what they sell ... I mean why
else would they choose to stock items? That comes down to obviating
the customer aggravation when returning defective items, and using
their market power to force the manufacturers/vendors to refund to
them. That comes down to a bit of attention to people when they are
buying major items. That comes down to having experts on hand to
answer customer questions and resolve technical problems, That comes
down to making the buying experience pleasant and rewarding and
reassuring. And backing what they sell ... to the hilt.

I can't think of any of the major retailers (the movers and shakers
behind this campaign) who provide any of this, and if the retailers
don't do this, then they serve no purpose in the supply chain, other
than to feather their nests. If I can buy straight from the
manufacturer/overseas vendor at a reduced price and take the
responsibility for enforcing the product's worth for purpose (a
responsibility which which the major retailers like HN have already
abrogated)  then why do I a need a retailer that refuses to do this.
What possible purpose would such a retailer serve except to stock
items for display and sale in geographic proximity so I can view
them. (I've lost count of the number of times major retail chains
have told me that I couldn't take the item on the floor and would
have to wait for delivery ... sometime in the foreseeable future.)

>According to HN's annual report, the franchisee's margin is about 6%. If
>I add franchisee sales ($5.2 billion) to HN-owned stores' revenue ($1.3
>billion), I get sales revenue of $6.5 billion. HN's profit is $420
>million - a margin (not mark-up since this includes outgoings like rent
>and salaries, etc) of about 6.5%. This margin would, I would suppose, be
>much higher if all of the "padding" of product pricing were taking place
>in Harvey Norman rather than among the vendors.

Perhaps... because the vertically integrated HN controls franchise
fees, licensing, exorbitant rents and a host of other charges to
franchisees before they even shift stock of the floor. And then the
franchisee has to pay HN a percentage of the sale ... before they
even look at paying their fixed costs, stock providers (from whom HN
also gets a cut), financial institutions  and services (contracted by
HN from which HN also gets a cut) power and utilities, employees and
the like. What's left couldn't be much ... but that's not the fault
of e-commerce.

(That said, I was a tax auditor in my distant past ... and can tell
you that the accounting vagaries associated with Balance Sheets and
Profit and Loss Statements more often than not don't represent the
financial situation as it really is.)

But the bottom line is that that franchise business model is
inherently flawed, and excessively favours the franchisor (HN).

Finally. small retailers in this country are trapped in the hands of
Coles, Woolworths, Westfield having to pay exorbitant rents and
charges to set up shop in the malls, shopping centres and the like
that the big boys run. Their real estate and other overheads are high
(they even have to pay costs that one would think would be the
responsibility of the big boys ... advertising levies, building
insurance etc), forcing them to pad the prices to redeem the costs.
That works fine in a booming economy, but when Joe Blow is struggling
to pay interest rate increments of an added .25% on his $500,000
mortgage as well as deal with huge increases in utility bills, and
continue feeding the family ... well, he looks to budget then. And
that's what's happening now. People are so heavily geared at the
moment that they simply don't have the bucks for indulgences ... and
that's what the mall shopping centre with its various economic
vagaries was created to serve.

The el cheapo corner store, or more reasonably priced local
neighbourhood shopping centre may may a comeback.

Many may be better off renting a warehouse in an industrial district
and going on-line for a shop-front. The rents on virtual real estate
are so much more reasonable.       :)

>None of this excuses our retailers from their part in being
>uncompetitive - I would particularly mention crappy customer service as
>a sore point (I find smaller retailers beat larger hands-down in terms
>of customer service) - but I don't think it hurts to try and understand
>the whole of a problem rather than one bit of it.

Ditto. Small retailers tend to go the extra yard, be amenable to
price bargaining. Will take defective returns and give you a refund.
Won't place obstacles in the way. Will add value by bundling small
items with major purchases. Will deliver. Know their products really
well, Are expert in the products various vagaries, and have an
interest in being straight with you when you make the purchase.

They also have to fight off the predatory big guys, and cut off arms
and legs to get approvals under the attention of major retailer who
dominate decision-makers on councils and governments (e.g. .... here
in Rye, Woolworths has successfully stopped an Aldi store being built
for more than two years now ... but we're sure they have our best
interest at heart.   :(     There are countless examples of this ...
and when the big guy takes over the little guy's patch by hook or by
crook ... hey, that's healthy competition, Man. But when another big
guy want's to move in ... a host of planning and other objections
appear and competition goes by the board. It's all so damned
hypocritical.)

That said, during the good years (prior to 2008) the little guys also
lost the plot in the hunt for the buck. I'm pleased to say many have
seen the error of their ways and gone back to the service ethic of
yore.

Rich, I understand the various parts of the sector fairly well ...
started off auditing small retailers, and moved accidentally into
auditing the larger ones because of my IT skills. I'm familiar with
the economics of the business model and how they can be manipulated,
and am intimately aware of the propensity of business to present
different financial pictures (and books of account) dependant on
their audience. All business does it ... the shareholders get a
different view from the franchisees, who get a different view from
major investors, who get a different view from the ATO or creditors.
What they loosely call 'accounting standards' ensures this.

The major retailers decided to make a mountain out of a molehill
(e-commerce represents less than 5% of all sales for God's sake!), to
institute a PR campaign to blackmail the government into doing
something that wasn't in anyone's interests other than the major
retailers. They elected to lie and alarm. To try and shore up a tired
and failing business model.

They don't add value ... they subtract it.

That's my problem with the major retailers, Rich.

Again ... just my 2 cents worth ...