[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jan 11 09:04:42 AEDT 2011

At 12:16 PM 10/01/2011, Frank O'Connor you wrote:
>1. It costs more than it raises in revenue. Doesn't make a lot of
>sense to do this ... as the ATO pointed out.

PM doesn't buy push to expand online GST

http://www.theage.com.au/business/pm-doesnt-buy-push-to-expand-online-gst-20110110-19l4g.html

Ben Butler and Peter Martin

January 11, 2011

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has all but killed the retailers'
campaign to widen the GST net for online purchases from overseas.

''I would be very reluctant to see Australians who are facing
cost-of-living pressures not able to access shopping on the internet
in the way that they access it now,'' Ms Gillard said.

''A small percentage, a very small percentage, of shopping is on the
internet from overseas and the present advice is, in terms of revenue
and recovery from that small percentage, that it would cost more in
administrative costs than it would recover in revenue.''

I think it's over.
Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com