[LINK] Proof that Cloud Computing is dead

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Jan 13 13:34:58 AEDT 2011

Tom Koltai wrote:

> I don't see people trading their
> privacy for a cloud DVR.
> In other words, for five cents you can store a copy of a movie for a
> lifetime.

Neither do I. Also, it still does take a while to download content
as large as an HD movie from the cloud. Whereas you can watch it
instantly off your handy ext drive.

> For ten cents, you can have two copies (one offsite for safety - think
> brother/sister/best mate, think sneaker net).

Yes, interesting that sneaker net now has a new incarnation. Most people
have a 4GB+ USB stick on their key chains for sneaking various types of
content around. And many have 1-2 TB pocket sized external drives for the same
purpose.

cheers
rickw