[LINK] Telecoms lessons learnt in the flood

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jan 21 12:50:35 AEDT 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011, grove at zeta.org.au wrote:

> And so, this knowledge needs to get out there.  There are a lot of
> very mischeivious types out there right now who need sorting out.
> I lump these types in with the climate change deniers, vaccination
> skeptics and tobacco lobbyists, amongst others.  The only way to beat
> them down is by cold hard facts!   The amount of FUD I hear recently
> in the media regarding the NBN is depressing in its untruthfulness,
> deceit and lack of technical grounding....

One of (many) interesting things covered in my third year social psychology
course (given by a prominent WA ex politician, which made it all the more
interesting!) is that we explored, time and time again, that people
don't act rationally in the face of evidence contradicting their beliefs
and/or actions. Let alone that their actions don't have to reflect their
beliefs.

In fact, the above is likely the best way to (further) alienate those
groups of people you're trying to attract to your side.

Fun times,

Adrian