[LINK] Ebay vrs Bricks

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:33:23 AEDT 2011

On 24 January 2011 19:07, Craig Sanders <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:

> snip

> and, IMO, the industry needs regulation to
> safeguard buyers' interests.

I don't think I agree. One of the major reasons ebay is so successful in the
example Stephen cites is that is an avenue for mums and dads or small
businesses to sell stuff at low mark up.
Increase regulation and a lot of sellers wouldn't bother, driving up prices.
Ebay has a (somewhat flawed for sellers) feedback mechanism, plus standard
protections if you pay by credit card, so I would suggest buyers are already
quite well protected.
Ebay has a number of problems, but I don't think inadequate regard for
buyer's interests is one of them.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs (ebay user since 1997)