[LINK] o/t End of Days

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jul 22 14:21:33 AEST 2011

> > As for the End of Days, it's a toss-up what will get us first:
> >
> > - global warming;
> > - air pollution;
> > - water pollution;
> > - water supply;
> > - soil degradation or
> > - overpopulation.
> >
> > The list is not exhaustive. (Fwiw), my money's on the last.
>
> war. any or all of the above can (and probably will in the next few
> years, certainly in the next decade or two) trigger a war that will
> destroy the planet (or at least make it uninhabitable for us) but if we
> got to choose, I'd vote for alien invasion. Ian Banks' 'The Culture'
> would be nice. craig

Agreed, any and/or all could severely reduce our human species, but to
me none of these should kill ALL of us. It seems there could always be
"geographic pockets' left, capable of some kind of survival, of a sort.

Think that human-initiated nuclear-winter-scenario dangers have passed.

But, something that could exterminate a human species as a whole might
seem a fast-acting pandemic. Perhaps a mutation, or, normal pathogenes
growing from their current environmental niches as a result of climate
change. It's only our luck that HIV is not spread by mosquitos.  A new
and virulent pathogene, or several in a row, with 2-3 weeks incubation
periods, would reach every continent readily enough, and before humans
might find and disseminate sufficient and adequate medical protections.

Whatever i like to hope that humans wont kill us all. It's nature that
we've screwed with too much which might extract its inevitable revenge.

Cheers,
Stephen