[LINK] Another Form of Super-Cookie Exposed

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Jul 30 15:44:41 AEST 2011

Why is it that no-one is suing adobe?  All these super-cookies lately seem to be in flash.  Wouldn't it be better if it were not possible to make hidden cookies via flash?

On 2011/Jul/30, at 12:48 PM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

>> This means that if a person clears their browser cache or cookies,
>> the random identity is likely to persist and that person will keep
>> being "known" as a consistent random identity. If the random identity
>> persists in one of these methods, we will reset the others so they
>> all share that same random identity.
>
> Are they assuming person==user==computer?
>
> If multiple users (say a family, or at an internet cafe, or library) use
> the same computer, can their system differentiate between them?

I expect that if you use a different account on the same computer, a different browser under the same account or even a different profile on the same browser you wouldn't be tracked as the same node.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant