[LINK] calibre-ebook. Re: Borders and A&R finished

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jun 2 09:03:36 AEST 2011

At 08:37 AM 2/06/2011, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
>I've used Calibre a couple of times now and I'll probably stick with
>it because, to date, it's the best thing I've found for converting
>from X to Mobi format, which is what I need. But you have to
>struggle to to make it do what I want it to - take one file, convert
>it to Mobi format and store it where I want it to. At least you
>*can* do that, so it's not quite as bad as the abominable iTunes
>(which seems to be the archetype of this kind of horror), but if
>there was a small conversion tool I'd ditch Calibre in a flash.

I did a quick google search and a few options came up. Maybe there
are tools to do that conversion that aren't so multi-functional as Calibre.
http://www.2epub.com/ - online converter
 From the few I read about, they are mostly pdf to epub because of
the need to see things on various ebook readers that don't handle pdf.
Giveaway of the Day have several listed:
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/epub+converter/

Mobipocket has a creator:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailscreator.asp

Actually, I installed Calibre to have a library function rather than
to convert. Although conversion is something of value, too.

I have downloaded heaps of ebooks. Ask me how many I've actually
read.....  I'm away on an extended trip to the US later in the year
and on my 'to do' list is installing all the ebook reader software
and my collection of ebooks on my netbook to take with. War and Peace
anyone? Lots of free ebooks, particularly classics.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/