[LINK] 5 Reasons Why E-Books Aren’t There Yet

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jun 5 09:21:24 AEST 2011

At 05:10 PM 4/06/2011, Kim Holburn wrote:
>http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/ebooks-not-there-yet/all/1

I thought the point about not being reminded to read a particular
book is true. I find myself in that position often. Even if I leave
the reader running (on my laptop) or a tab open on my PDF program, I
get pulled into other things. Maybe it's a matter of leaving the
Internet (much more engaging medium) and looking at reading an ebook
as a separate activity. Perhaps if I had an ebook reader as a
separate device, I'd treat them more as a separate thing to do.
Still, most soft-readers have a list of open books function.

Some of his points seemed strange. Then again, maybe that's because
of limitations of the reader devices rather than the books
themselves. Some readers allow for notations and bookmarks in their
soft version. I think mobipocket does, but I have too much going on
my computer right now to check. And PDF files offer the ability to
attach notes now with the right reader software. Yes, it can be
fiddly, but you can do it if you know how. "Knowing how" seems to
come into play in a number of these sorts of articles and interpretations.

As for having multiple devices, I was surprised to learn from a
friend just yesterday that this week he bought a new iPad, a new
MacBook and is in the market for a Kindle as well. I would have
gadget overload, but he seems to be handling it OK. In his mind they
each fulfill a different purpose.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com