[LINK] Future of History on the Web

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jun 13 11:09:06 AEST 2011

Michael McKernan will speak on "Doing History Differently" at the
Australian National University, 4pm, 15 June 2011:
<http://billboard.anu.edu.au/event_view.asp?id=77280>.

---
     Michael McKernanPublic Lecture
     Doing History Differently

     A while ago I was telling my excellent and thorough editor at
Allen&Unwin that I had been reading the letters of Manning Clark. 'Who
is Manning Clark?' this University of Sydney graduate asked. Writing a
history of the ACT Brumbies some years ago one of the sharpest of the
players said to me in a friendly way, 'I have no idea what you are
doing. What is history?'. Those of us who have worked in History all our
lives cannot assume that what we do is understood, or valued.

     The resources for writing history have never been more universally
available. Forget the reading rooms and libraries of the past, many of
us can now do a great deal of our research online. Yet these resources
are fundamentally wasted if potential consumers of history do not
understand history's relevance and appeal. There is no point in
hand-wringing about these things. We need to seek out solutions.

     Can commercial television help? This paper looks at a ten part
Channel Nine series, currently screening in prime time, history pure and
simple, to see what can be done.

     Michael McKernan has worked as an academic, museum historian, and
has presented history on radio and television. He is a graduate of the
ANU. ...
---

Links to some of Michael McKernan's books in my blog: <http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/06/future-of-history-on-web.html>

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au