[LINK] google sued over autocomplete

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Jun 16 11:43:25 AEST 2011

[I guess autocomplete can even have bad effects on the big boys
(alluding to the various websites showing embarrassing autocompletes
on sms messages)]

Google sued by hotel over 'receivership' autocomplete results
June 16, 2011 - 8:17AM

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/google-sued-by-hotel-over-receivership-autocomplete-results-20110616-1g4j7.html
This post was originally published on Mashable.com

Google is on the receiving end of a lawsuit over some of its
autocomplete suggestions for an Irish hotel.

The Ballymascanlon House Hotel, Golf and Leisure Club says several
potential guests, including brides planning their weddings at the
historic estate, have been shocked and troubled to see the word
"receivership" pop up during Google searches for the hotel's name.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The term indicates some or part of the hotel's assets, including
property, are being held by a custodian pending the repayment of
secured debts. Receivership is used by creditors in insolvency
legislation in the UK; in some cases, the administration of the
debtor's business might even be turned over to the receiver.

Google's autocomplete suggestions have gotten the company into legal
hot water in the past, generally with individuals who see potentially
damaging terms following their names in search queries. The company
has a history of subtle censorship of certain autocomplete terms,
especially those related to online piracy.

[via TheNextWeb]

Mashable.com is the world's largest blog focused exclusively on
social media news.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/