[LINK] Google faces $50 million lawsuit over Android location tracking

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon May 2 11:45:49 AEST 2011

My more detailed response to the Gizmodo "don't worry, be happy".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/02/device_data_collection/

I suspect that "keeping the WiFi databases updated" isn't a good reason.
It arguably reveals information about a carriage service without consent
- which is in breach of the Telecommunications Act.

Take it this way (paraphrasing myself in the article). My WiFi device is
connected to my broadband service: if Apple records it using a passing
iPhone, it is recording and using information about my broadband service
(indirectly). And if it's just doing it as a kind of data grab by a
third party (because I don't own an iPhone, so I cannot give consent) -
that's clearly not allowed under the Telecoms Act.

(I wish I'd looked over the Act back in the Google StreetView days -
it's more than just some Privacy Act thing).

RC