[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Tue May 3 08:59:18 AEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 20:01, Roger Clarke wrote:

> Am I the only person appalled at Gillard's gloating over what looks

Not if you count me.

> prettymuch like cold-blooded murder or a gangland execution?
> Particularly when it's been dressed up as 'justice'?

Yeah, nothing like blowing up 3,000+ people at their workplace is it
Roger? It's called war.

I thought the response was quite restrained for the US actually. I'm
shocked they didn't blow up the whole of Pakistan to ensure they got him
and those that shielded him. Indeed, I'm surprised they didn't do that
ten years ago.

> I thought Obama's speech was delicately balanced between the
> realities of US politics and the ethics of killing killers.
> Gillard's comments weren't.

You aren't really comparing the likes of Gillard to Obama are you? Bit
silly really.

> Even our Foreign-Affairs-Minister-for-far-too-long managed to strike
> the right note with 'It's not nice to relish the death of a person,
> but it's understandable given the circumstances'.

Well, he appears to know what he's doing having a bit of experience in
that area.

At the end of the day it's a horrible situation. A very sad reflection
on humanity in general really.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific