[LINK] Media Servers - Was - NBN Rollout in Tasmania: Next Phase

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Fri May 6 14:01:56 AEST 2011

On 6/05/2011 11:29 AM, Tom Koltai wrote:
> I think it's an interesting indictment against wireless that many
> technical persons prefer to hardwire their entertainment systems with
> either cat-5 or Ethernet over power, but then just as per set-top boxes
> and Internet enabled TV's the public are always three to five years
> behind.
...or maybe just because we're cheap. Buying the special wireless dongle for the TV
was going to cost over $100, and wait 3 weeks while they ordered it because they
didn't hold stock -  whereas I had a length of cat-5 and a powerline plug in the
drawer. That and I wasn't sure my poor several-years-old wifi router would cope with
the load of video streaming and didn't want to buy a new one.
The Wii hooks up wirelessly (it has built in wifi, and no wire ethernet socket) and
seems to work OK although its not streaming video through this link at all.

P.