[LINK] There goes the neighbourhood...

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Wed May 11 10:57:03 AEST 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011 09:28:28 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
[...]
> Er - the *reason* it got popular was that it got around NAT. Had it
> not been usable from behind the ubiquitous NAtting home router, it
> would have had no chance at all. That is one of the reasons why the
> completely free, totally open and standardised other options failed.

Just curious about what is meant by "ubiquitous NAtting home router".

Am I correct in being under the impression that the NAT problem can be
solved, with any home router, if the person uses SIP client software
configured to use a stun server (or does that not work with some/many
routers)?

Even if that method/solution does work with all home routers, it's imo no
doubt far too 'complicated' for the most users (at least unless they've
been lucky enough to have been told/heard about some SIP client that
installs pre-configured to use a publicly usable stun server - don't know
if there even still is any such client, but several years ago IIRC free
SJPhone did - *and* the people they want to communicate with have also).

Irene