[LINK] home routers, security, privacy, zero config, IPv6 and NAT or no NAT

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Fri May 13 12:50:12 AEST 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:56:31 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 08:51 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
[...]
>> How would they work?
>>
> See above?

Also, one place to find out how they/it is working right now (which seems
to me to be substantially similar to Karl's info), is Internode's pages
about its current IPv6 Trial:

http://ipv6.internode.on.net/

That contains info for any Internode ADSL home (or other) customer who
wants to help them trial IPv6 (but warns not to partipate without good
understanding of IPv6 etc because it's a trial and they're not providing
any support - they just want knowledgeable people to help them). There's
also a number of threads on Whirlpool where people participating in
Internode's IPv6 trial talk about their experiences, hardware, and so on.

Also, FWIW, it's my perception that some/many people's worries about or
belief that IPv6 will adversely affect privacy may originate from
reports/commentary about that potential, initially talked about a decade
ago (and of course still all around the Web), before the IPv6
specifications/standards were 'finalised' including before the "Privacy
Extensions" were.

(NB: I'm a person who is more concerned about privacy protection than many
people, but I don't see that IPv6 will make any difference, unless e.g.
some ISP or vendor intentionally implements it in a way that would reduce
privacy protection, in which case imo there'd likely be much public
criticism causing them to change their ways, and/or it would be time to
change ISPs or vendors etc).

Irene