[LINK] Batteries again

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Wed May 18 09:50:27 AEST 2011

On 16/05/2011 5:00 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
 >> The WMRC's Battery Recycling Programme collects used household
batteries (A, AA, AAA, C, D, button, 9V and 6V) and sends them for
recycling...
Which emphasises the scope of the issue. What proportion of mobile
'phone batteries are recycled, for example? At what costs? What about
all those appliances with internal batteries that aren't readily
replaceable? And the list goes on.

On 16/05/2011 6:12 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> My concern is that when we decentralise the battery UPS out of the Telstra exchanges is that making sure they have a proper system to monitor and replace them is much harder.
>
> In other words, after a few years we get an outage and all the batteries are dead.
Which exposes the futility.

With the rise of battery-powered transport, the problems will get worse.
Are batteries the foundation of humanity's next great blunder? Or is it
a current blunder, the severity of which we've not yet recognised?

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,