[LINK] Education system doesn't support NBN

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue May 24 18:57:04 AEST 2011

At 02:16 PM 24/05/2011, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>Will the NBN solve this problem or will NBN simply replace Telstra in the
>bog. Should a class of 30 be all trying to turn the page at the same time?

Sounds like a provisioning problem. You'd need to look at the server
that is being hit simultaneously as well as anything Telstra could
do. Then there's the stupid (?) filters that some (all?) education
systems have in place. I've seen a network die a dismal death in a
place whenever a training session was going on in a computer club
venue without filters. Our SIG met at the same time and we always
knew when the class had arrived. Dead duck.

If you have more pipe but throttle it with requests, poor servers at
far ends, or filters, of course they'll still be slow.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/