[LINK] Cognitive Dissonance [Was: Mind Chauvinism - a quote and a link]

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun May 29 18:12:47 AEST 2011

<snip>

> Most of us are not sociopaths. We don't easily do what we
> believe to be
> wrong. Cognitive Dissonance could be seen as a factor in a
> coping mechanism.
>
> A quick Google turned up
> <http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/566/1/Zimbardo_final.pdf>, a
> 3-page pdf that
> mentions a couple of other iconic experiments. It's worth a read.
>
> To get this back on topic, how much of the evil done on the 'net
> (bullying, trolling) is abetted by Cognitive Dissonance? How much is
> just sociopathology?

Hmmm. Cognitive Dissonance.

Is that where the Roman Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Zionists,
Anglicans, 7th dayers, Taoists, Islamites, Shintoists, Hindus, Buddhists
and all other religions find it necessary to believe in an after life to
explain the shafting we receive from the power mongers in this life.

I think I get it...

TomK