[LINK] ABC News: Government communications: online but out of touch

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun Oct 9 10:04:55 AEDT 2011

Fascinating well constructed article on the status of "E-Government".

Ms. O'Rourke gives us a rare inside glimpse of fighting the Canberra
quill pen mentality.

The nay saying comments should be lumped in the "luddite" - "I think
there is a world market for about five computers" bin.

The essential difficulty with Canberra is one of survival.

"I'm x years from retirement. I don't want to learn all this new geeky
mumbo jumbo technology. If I can make the technology look irrelevant,
then I can get to my retirement without having to be retrained/retasked
or made to look silly."

The attitude is a little like the prolific Graffiti applicators living
close to high traffic public transport corridors.

"I don't care how much of Australia's GDP is wasted by people having to
clean up my mess... It's how I like to spend my time and I'm going to
keep on doing it."

The problem with civil servant technology averseness can be summarised
with one memorable quote;

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to
us." - A memo at Western Union, 1878

Of course, Ms. O'Rourke's comments are based on personal experience. She
may  not be aware of the Publicly accessible G.I.S. system that was
setup in Darwin in 1992 by the NT Department of Mines and Energy for EA
leases; nor does she mention the increasingly valuable data being
published by some Federal agencies, ABS, BITRE or the Dept of
Infrastructure (to name a couple).

Change takes time. Quite often, a quarter century generational time
span.
Which it would appear, is about the working life span of a Senior public
servant.

Ms. O'Rourke has managed to publicise a deep and dark Canberra secret.
For the most part, open government is beneficial and quill pens should
be retired.

Should other Journalists elect to bravely take up the theme, I daresay
that our pollies and their minders will all be blogging, tweeting and
being "Liked" by next year.

Reference:

http://listverse.com/2007/10/28/top-30-failed-technology-predictions/
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/