[LINK] Is the PVR dead?

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Oct 10 12:15:48 AEDT 2011

Interesting take. Amongst my peer group, Free to Air Television viewing
no longer exists.

Over the last five years, the Television in our lounge-room (the
province of a now 25 year old and a twenty year old) has gone from being
on around seven hours per evening (5-12), (with no-one watching most of
the time) to never being on. The silence is bliss. (Akin to the white
earphone supremacy over neighbourhood unfriendly blaring boom-boxes).

B.I. (Before Internet) Australians used to watch 29 hours of FTA (Free
to Air) TV per week.
Then Cable happened. I personally have not watched FTA television news
since around circa 1997 (Got Galaxy and then Foxtel).
In Australia 1.3 million HH's out of 8 million have Cable TV. (In the US
cable Penetration is reversed with less than 11% of the country
utilising Free to Air.)

My news consumption comes from Link, Social networking and the kids. If
it's big and relevant, someone will tell me about it. In Summary, after
the dotcom crash I couldn’t find any reason to subject myself to the
mind numbing sensationist negative energy FUD that is called News ?

Until the advent of advertising, News historically was the social
gathering event, Acta Diurna (Roman Times), the Town Crier, Community
Announcements at Sunday Services (religious).
With Advertising, News developed into an advertising support role. Ergo,
News existed solely to obtain advertising revenue and more and more
resources went into developing high quality News Productions,
helicopters, Mornings with Kerry Ann, Rove Live, etc.

Google's "News" now includes the content from a large number of video
camera phone armed citizen journalists.
Most of the news services now "buy" citizen news video clips as a matter
of course for early coverage "scoops".

With Social Networking vis status updates, today's newshound merely
needs to use "OMG" as the RSS keyword to get all of the "hottest" news.

So I must respectfully disagree, I doubt that News Broadcasts have
anything to offer the young up and coming industrialised nations highly
connected next generation.

In the emerging countries, interesting technology quantum leaps are
occurring, ensuring a total bypass of FTA Broadcast NEWS services. For
example, the Indian National Satellite System on the 30th of December
next year propose launching a Satellite (Insat 4E (GSAT 6)) that will
provide entertainment and info services to Indian Nationals via 5 CxS
transponders and 5 SxC transponders direct to vehicles through Digital
Multimedia consoles and to Multimedia mobile Phones. (Satellite Cable
services direct to device).