[LINK] Australian Computer Society state based consultations

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Oct 13 08:13:55 AEDT 2011

On 11/10/11 23:54, Brenda Aynsley wrote:

> ... The ACS Cyber Task Force in association with the Department of the Prime
> Minister and Cabinet (PM&C) seeks your views on a wide range of issues
> through this consultation event, including how we can together minimise
> cyber risks so we can maximise social and economic opportunities in the
> digital economy.  This is your opportunity to tell us what you think are
> the key opportunities, priorities and challenges in cyberspace. ...

There is also a discussion paper from Minister for the Arts, Simon
Crean, seeking public input on National Cultural Policy and a Book
Industry Strategy Group (BISG):

* Senator Lundy ran one of her "Public Sphere" events on "Digital
Culture" policy last week for input to the cultural policy:
http://www.katelundy.com.au/2011/09/06/the-digital-culture-public-sphere/

* The federal government also has a "Book Industry Strategy Group"
(BISG) which delivered a report in September on looking at the future of
the publishing industry and particularly the role of IT with eBooks
delivered over the Internet. The report has not yet been made public and
presumably the government is considering its response and so open to
input. Here is a summary of the last report for the BISG "Cover to
cover: A market analysis of the Australian book industry":
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/10/market-analysis-of-australian-book.html

It should be noted that this is not Australia's first attempt at cyber
policy. There was a flurry of activity in this area in the late 1990s,
with ACS making the submission "Vision for a Networked Nation":
http://www.tomw.net.au/nt/vision.html

More recently there was the report "Broadening the debate: Inquiry into
the role and potential of the National Broadband Network" by the
Australian House of Representatives Standing Committee on Infrastructure
and Communications:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/08/parliamentary-report-on-nbn.html

ps: I am on the ACS Cyber Task Force and will be attending the Canberra
event, Tuesday 18 October, 12.30pm: http://www.acs.org.au/cwp/

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/