[LINK] Jobs not all bad

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sun Oct 16 18:12:01 AEDT 2011

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> On 15/10/2011 4:57 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
<snip>
> But creating and selling style is not simple. Jobs had style, Apple
> doesn't, and Gates never did.

...according to the man himself:

> College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.
>
> None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But 10 years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts.
>
> And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/steve-jobs-dies/stay-hungry-stay-foolish-trust-in-destiny-steve-jobss-wish-for-all/story-fn9t9liq-1226161567572>

In the Museum of Modern Art Collection:
> Macintosh 128K Home Computer
> Apple, Inc. (American, est. 1976), Steve Jobs (American, born 1955) and Jerry Manock (American)
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=3742

but the collection also includes:

> The Collection | Object
>
> Steven T. Kaneko. Mouse Computer Pointing Device. 1992
>
> ... 1992. ABS polymer casing, 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 4 1/2" (3.8 x 6.3 x 11.4 cm). Manufactured by Microsoft Corporation. Gift of the manufacturer. 362.1993. Related Links ...
>
> The Collection | Object
>
> Matthew Carter. Verdana. 1996
>
> ... Verdana. Matthew Carter (British, born 1937). 1996. Digital typeface, Variable. Gift of Microsoft Corporation. 1070.2010. Gallery Label Text. ...

It is tragic that anyone dies at 56. Maybe if Jobs had lived longer he may
have got a  Turing award. Of the names I recognise at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_Award>

Donald Knuth at a reception for the Open Content Alliance, October 25, 2005
Born     January 10, 1938 (1938-01-10) (age 73)
Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
Died     August 6, 2002(2002-08-06) (aged 72)
Nuenen, Netherlands

Niklaus E. Wirth
Born     February 15, 1934 (1934-02-15) (age 77)
Winterthur, Switzerland

Dennis Ritchie,
Died     October 8, 2011(2011-10-08) (aged 70)

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au