[LINK] Super fund security breach lands good Samaritan in hotwater

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 19 17:37:11 AEDT 2011

Front page of *four* publications :-)

And there was also some discussion on The Register.

It's worth keeping in mind that Webster first observed the bug during a
legitimate use of the site - checking his own account. Perhaps his
proof-of-concept was ill-considered, and he should instead have sent
instructions to FSS on how to write the script, without running the
script himself.

Like you, Darren, I am hearing of people reaching for the lawyers
first-and-foremost. In one case I discussed with a researcher earlier
this year, the threat came not with disclosure, but merely because the
researcher tried to report a vulnerability to a company.

RC