[LINK] Balance the enemy of facts (was Re: Jobs not all bad)

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 20 18:47:56 AEDT 2011

Ivan,

Violently agree.

"Balance" is a construct of many things, but largely because it's yelled
at journalists by publicists, media managers, spin doctors and all the
rest. You need a strong stomach to write a climate change story
*without* calling one wingnut for a quote, knowing that an organized
opposition will mobilize against you.

My personal dictum is that "facts are not balanced". If I am dealing
with a fact, I see neither obligation nor value in finding someone to
act as a disputant, simply to hide behind the skirts of balance. Is the
headline "Ned Kelly guilty!" balanced? No: but it may still be true,
fair and factual. Likewise, if I'm reporting (say) the existence of a
set of measurements from CERN, it's quite hard enough to do the science
well enough, without trying to dig around just so someone can say "no,
it isn't so".

Eg: "CERN has released the data from the neutrino experiment for peer
review" is not a fact that requires qualification or balance, as some
journalists seemed to think; the point of the data release was to have
it properly examined and torn apart by the scientific community; a "spot
opinion" saying "Einstein was wrong!" followed by a second spot opinion
saying "the data is wrong!" is merely journalistic name-dropping for the
sake of some extra noise and confusion.

There's a second influence, which is that journalists misinterpret their
code of ethics as demanding that "each story should contain a contrary
point of view". No: being fair to persons is not necessarily the same
thing; being "fair" to "ideas" (ie, "giving the climate change deniers
equal time") is just stupid; an idea isn't capable of suffering injury.

A third influence is something I've discussed on Link before: the
publicist's equivocation between "the right to speak freely" and the
"right to be heard". The first is active and says that the State should
not oppress or punish individuals merely for what they say (or write or
publish). The second construction is oppressive: it tries to impose an
obligation on the hearer, and eliminate the right to ignore what someone
is saying.

In the case of journalism, the "right to be heard" works hand-in-hand
with "publicist's balance" to make a journalist feel that they have to
"represent all points of view" - which often has regrettable results.

RC