[LINK] Fwd: [aliaACTive] New report on costs and benefits of data provision (public sector) is now available.

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Oct 21 09:05:30 AEDT 2011

On 20/10/11 11:46, Antony Barry wrote:

> From: "Missingham, Roxanne (DPS)"... 20 October 2011 9:05:33 AM AEDT
>
> ...full text of Costs and Benefits of Data Provision: Report to the
> Australian National Data Service by Professor John Houghton, ANDS,
> 2011. http://ands.org.au/resource/houghton-cost-benefit-study.pdf

The report has three case studies: Australian Bureau of Statistics,
Office of Spatial Data/Geo-science Australia and National Water
Commission/Bureau of Meteorology. For ABS, the benefits of open access
were estimated to be at least five times the cost.

But, while open access to government data is now government policy,
agency staff are yet to be convinced to implement the policy. The Open
Government Data Camp which was to be held in Canberra today has been
canceeled due to insufficient registrants:
http://agimo.govspace.gov.au/2011/10/05/open-government-data-camp-2011-satellite-event/

Professor Anne Fitzgerald, Neale Hooper and Cheryl Foong from QUT will
be making the case for the use of Creative Commons for government at the
National Library of Australia, in Canberra, 4 November 2011:
http://creativecommons.org.au/cc4youand4gov2011

ANU is hosting a by-invitation forum for researchers in Canberra using
CC next week. One area which I don't think has been covered sufficiently
is open access for educational materials. Perhaps this will come up at
the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Education and
Employment, when they take evidence from the Department of Education,
Employment and Workplace Relations on higher education and overseas
students at 2pm today:
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/ee/22September2011/index.htm

Here is the table of contents from the "Costs and Benefits of Data
Provision":

Table of Contents:

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

     BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
     ECONOMIC PRINCIPLES
     ECONOMIC EVIDENCE
     POLICY RESPONSES
     MEASURING VALUE, COSTS AND BENEFITS
A FRAMEWORK FOR ESTIMATING COST-BENEFIT
     AGENCY COSTS AND COST SAVINGS
     USER COSTS AND COST SAVINGS
     EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY IMPACTS
     WIDER ECONOMIC IMPACTS AND BENEFITS
     A COST-BENEFIT MODEL 12
     GUIDE TO DATA REQUIREMENTS 13
PUBLIC SECTOR INFORMATION CASE STUDIES
     NATIONAL STATISTICS (AUSTRALIAN BUREAU OF STATISTICS)
         Agency costs and benefits
         User costs and benefits
         Indicators of use (web statistics)
         Wider impacts of use
         Summary of impacts
     SPATIAL DATA (OFFICE OF SPATIAL DATA MANAGEMENT & GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA)
     HYDROLOGICAL DATA (NATIONAL WATER COMMISSION & BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY)
WIDER IMPACTS OF OPEN ACCESS TO PSI
     REPORTED IMPACTS OF SPATIAL DATA IN AUSTRALIA
     IMPACTS OF PSI MORE BROADLY
LESSONS FOR THE RESEARCH SECTOR
     COST-BENEFIT ANALYSES OF RESEARCH DATA CURATION AND SHARING
     LESSONS FOR THE RESEARCH SECTOR AND NEXT STEPS

ENDNOTES AND REFERENCES
Figures and Tables

Also I extracted the table of contents with links to the sections at:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/10/benefits-of-open-access-to-data.html#contents

And the SUMMARY OF FINDINGS and turned it into HTML:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/10/benefits-of-open-access-to-data.html#summary

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/