[LINK] Online sales tax thrown out in US court case

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Apr 4 09:30:59 AEST 2012

[I know this is a US case, but we have had a push for similar here.
Keep in mind that sales tax is a state tax in the US, not a national
GST like here, so the inter-state impacts are different there.]

Colorado judge rules against online sales tax

5:11 PM, Apr 3, 2012

http://www.9news.com/news/article/260652/188/Colorado-judge-rules-against-online-sales-tax-

DENVER (AP) - Colorado's tax on online retailers such as Amazon.com
has been thrown out by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn ruled that the 2010 law did not
treat in-state and out-of-state retailers even-handedly.

<http://goo.gl/2AotU>The Denver Post reported that the Colorado
Department of Revenue did not immediately say whether it planned to
appeal the ruling, which was issued Friday.

Blackburn's ruling leaves the status quo in place; the court blocked
the law on a temporary basis last year.

Cash-strapped states across the country are grappling with how to
capture the sales tax revenues that go uncollected from online
purchases. Congress has debated a federal regulation of online sales
taxes, but not agreed on a regulation.

Amazon has said it prefers a single nationwide online sales taxing scheme.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com