[LINK] Flying through clouds

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Apr 4 21:59:48 AEST 2012

The Yank Federal Aviation Administration is in the process of creating
a 'NextGen' system for the centralized control of US domestic aircraft.

That is, replacing airport radar systems with satellites and computers.

I guess you could say it will be a cloud based management system. Must
say, I'm not entirely convinced I would want to fly through the clouds.

 http://www.faa.gov/nextgen

NextGen Implementation

"The Next Generation Air Transportation System is a transformative change
in the management and operation of how we fly. NextGen enhances safety,
reduces delays, saves fuel and reduces aviation’s adverse environmental
impact. This comprehensive initiative, which is already providing
benefits, integrates new and existing technologies, including satellite
navigation and advanced digital communications. Airports and aircraft in
the National Airspace System will be connected to NextGen’s advanced
infrastructure and will continually share real-time information to
provide a better travel experience."

Of course and as usual with ICT, things aren't going according to plan.

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-223

What GAO Found

"In a review of 30 major ATC acquisition programs, all of which will
contribute to the transition to NextGen, GAO found that costs for 11 of
the 30 programs have increased from their initial estimates by a total of
$4.2 billion and 15 programs experienced delays.

The 11 acquisitions that experienced cost increases account for over 60
percent of FAA’s total acquisition costs ($11 billion of $17.7 billion)
for the 30 programs.

The 15 acquisitions that experienced schedule delays, of which 10 also
had cost increases, ranged from 2 months to more than 14 years and
averaged 48 months.

Cost increases and schedule delays occurred due to several factors, many
of which have been longstanding challenges for FAA. Specifically, these
have involved (1) additional or unanticipated system requirements; (2)
insufficient stakeholder involvement (such as controllers’ input)
throughout system development; (3) underestimating the complexity of
software development; and (4) unanticipated events including funding
shortfalls or work toppages.

These challenges, if they persist, will impede the implementation of
NextGen, especially in light of the interdependencies among many
acquisition programs, where cost increases or delays in one program can
affect the costs and schedules of other programs.."

--

Cheers,
Stephen