[LINK] Facebook uses BitTorrent to distribute updates

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Apr 8 09:13:47 AEST 2012

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/04/exclusive-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-facebook-release-engineering.ars

I don't think they are using the public network
BT, but a closed system to update their own servers.

"
Rossi explained that Facebook created its own
custom BitTorrent tracker, which is designed so
that individual servers in Facebook's
infrastructure will try to obtain slices from
other servers that are on the same node or rack, thus reducing total latency.

Rolling out a Facebook update takes an average of
30 minutes­15 minutes to generate the binary
executable and another 15 minutes to push the
executable to most of Facebook's servers via BitTorrent.
"

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer