[LINK] RFI: PayWave/PayPass Contactless Chip Cards

Paul Bolger pbolger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:26:33 AEST 2012

It's not the 'crims' I'm worried about. As we heard recently large
businesses put a huge amount of effort into tracking customers (the story
from the US about Target predicting when female customers become pregnant).
If you have an RFID chipped card in your pocket which answers with a unique
number whenever you go past a reader - and most modern department stores
must be bristling with them by now - it wouldn't take much to build up a
pretty clear picture of who you are, what interests you etc. Use your
credit card (if its not RFID in itself) while carrying the chipped card and
you'll end up matched. Go back into the same shop, or another which shares
the same database, and you'll be adding to your profile.
I think a good place for privacy lobbyists to start might be to ask for
shops to not be allowed access to identification data from credit cards -
when you pay with a card they should only see that the payment is approved,
not get to record who made it - unless that information is voluntarily
provided  by the customer. Of course this does nothing to stop them
tracking you with facial recognition software off the CVTV....