[LINK] Dealing with Your IAP

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Apr 18 21:00:28 AEST 2012

At 20:39 +1000 18/4/12, David Boxall wrote:
>Like most commercial systems, "help" desks are designed to, as cheaply
>as possible, give the appearance of providing a service. Faced with
>anything remotely approaching what you experienced, most users would
>give up. For the "provider", that's cheap.

It also means that $50 x 12 = $600 p.a. of revenue (which has been
all-but maintenance-free for all-but 7 years) walks out the door.

To be fair:
(a)  I sent a customised version of my post to the TPG CEO
(b)  I had an email from Customer Support, and a phone-call from a
      senior engineer, both within an hour
(c)  the engineer confirmed that it was as I'd imagined - basically
      a routing table must somehow have had a <null> entry in it, but
      finding out why would cost far too much effort to be worth chasing
      down.  They changed some entries, and I think they're actually
      retiring the device tomorrow
(d)  (they say that) they're reviewing the procedures that resulted in
      it taking about 31 hours longer to fix than it needed to

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW