[LINK] O/t: Planet Earth

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Apr 29 10:08:14 AEST 2012

On 29/04/2012 1:11 AM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> The world's worst is the most dangerous. Good luck, planet earth ..
>

> 1. The US uses 22% of the world's oil production (next is China with 10%)
>
>     http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption
>
> 2. NYTimes Editorial: 'In the Land of Denial' (Pub: September 6, 2011):
>
>    "The Republican presidential contenders regard global warming as a
>     hoax ... The nation badly needs a candidate with a coherent,
>     disciplined national strategy. So far, there is no Republican who
>     fits that description."
>
>     http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/opinion/in-the-land-of-denial-on-
>     climate-change.html
>
> 3. On a list of top 12 major issues, young folk (18-29) tested in the US
>     believe "Combating Climate Change" as being the least important issue.
>
>     http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/28/opinion/blow-young-
>     peoples-priorities-chart.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120428
Considering the role of IT in spreading disinformation, I disagree on
the O/t tag.

The influence of a minuscule group of ignorami; fascinating, isn't it?
Watching the recent ABC program, what struck me was just how nebulous
the denialist arguments are. Poor Nick Minchin really embarrassed
himself. For example, as far as I could tell, one of his "experts" (Marc
Morano) didn't speak a true word. It's kind of sad for Nick, but Anna
Rose's performance was impressive, particularly in her handling of the
most egregious denialists.

I missed the Q&A that followed the documentary, but found some
commentary at:
<http://theconversation.edu.au/i-can-change-your-mind-if-its-experts-youre-after-look-elsewhere-6558>
and
<http://theconversation.edu.au/no-one-likes-to-change-their-mind-not-even-on-climate-6674>.
For those who have the bandwidth, the documentary and Q&A are probably
available on iView.

--
David Boxall                    |  A fool is certain;
                                |  an ignorant fool,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  absolutely so.
                                            --Graffito