[LINK] Is the 'net making us ill?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Dec 10 10:31:50 AEDT 2012

tomk wrote:
<snip>
> David, you really should try that Google thingy... you'll be amazed - it
> has all sorts in it... even stuff that is in direct empirical opposition
> to anecdotal data laden under-grads hunting for the smell of a good 55k
> word powered grant for next semester.
<snip>
It is ofcourse difficult, when we look for simplistic reactionary solutions...

In promoting the switch to Flourescents (rather than LEDs) from
Incandescents, the government is advising:
> At present, CFLs can generally be disposed of in regular garbage bins - where the garbage goes to landfill...
<http://www.climatechange.gov.au/what-you-need-to-know/lighting/resources/fs.aspx>

 From Landfill, mercury enters the water cycle...

> because of the presence of higher levels of mercury in some fish there are a few types you should limit in your diet, especially if you are pregnant.
<http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumerinformation/mercuryinfish.cfm>

If we can get the e-waste cycle right - at the end of their life, the
materials in mercury free LED Lamps will be recycled.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications (Sydney)