[LINK] Last Call - Was - In Retirement on this thread

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 2 21:26:34 AEST 2012

"Purchased not invaded". More feasible than "invaded".

In modern history, how many times has there been a successful invasion,
at continental scale, when the invasion was resisted by someone with
resources comparable to that of the invader?

I can think of one such example: D-Day, which required international
co-operation (ie more than one invader), and if historians are right,
could have failed. It also required the invaded party - Germany - to be
already under resource-stress, and Germany was defending territory that
wasn't its home territory.

Finally, Australia is seriously big. No territory of Australia's scale
has ever been "invaded" against a comparable defender. Actually, I don't
think it's ever actually been attempted.

RC