[LINK] archive.org.au

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Thu Nov 29 09:26:18 AEDT 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Roger Clarke wrote:

>> On 28/11/12 08:38, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>>>  ... ramin.com.au dates back to January 1997 ...but the first snapshot
>>>  was only taken on 12 December 1998...
>
> At 8:42 +1100 29/11/12, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> Yes, while my web site went up on 9 March 1995, the earliest
>> archive is 2 December 1998:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/19981202051935/http://www.acslink.net.au/~tomw/
>
> Well, if we're doing show-and-tell, ...
>
> My site went up in Aug 1994, released mid-Feb 1995.
> But it was only picked up by the Wayback Machine from 24 Feb 1999:
> http://web.archive.org/web/19990224141037/http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
>
> Interestingly, when I had to hurriedly migrate it from the ANU (due
> to a sysadmin blunder there), it only took from the 9 Feb 09 launch
> to 11 Feb 09 for the Wayback Machine to index it:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20090211160837/http://rogerclarke.com/

I just found this again:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-author/grove@zeta.org.au.html

And it shows our website was already completely active by August 1995.
The site was a resource for "TurboVision" a C++ framework for MSDOS.

We actually consider the site "TVPlus" an example of one of the first
praxctical "portal" type websites as it was dedicated to the product and encouraged
communication and sharing of code snippets meticulously archived and
stored access and searching.   In fact the site is so old Zeta was
still referred to as "Kralizec Dialup Unix Sydney" at that point.

I have an archive tarball somewhere of the site (maybe) and I am sure
it is one of the earliest sites of its type on the net!

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html