[LINK] SOPA/PIPA dead (for now)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Oct 5 19:46:30 AEST 2012

[Dodd eats crow -- admits there should have been
more consultation. Duh. Ya think?]

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/mpaa-chief-admits-sopa-and-pipa-are-dead-theyre-not-coming-back/

MPAA chief admits: SOPA and PIPA "are dead, they're not coming back."
Chris Dodd adds: "Six strikes" enforcement by
ISPs will be "educational," "not a law."

by Joe Mullin - Oct 3, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

MPAA CEO Chris Dodd speaks to the Society of
Motion Picture and Television Engineers in late 2011.
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA—MPAA CEO Chris Dodd
didn't seem eager to talk about the aftermath of
SOPA when he spoke at San Francisco's
Commonwealth Club on Tuesday night. The former
Connecticut senator would have preferred to wax
poetic about innovation, California, and the
collaboration between Hollywood and Silicon
Valley. "Every studio I deal with has a
distribution agreement with Google," said Dodd.
"We've divided up this discussion in a way that
doesn't really get us moving along as a people."

He couldn't ignore it for long. Gavin Newsom
brought it up only briefly, but reporters
approached Dodd after the event to get more
details on how he viewed the SOPA aftermath, as
well as the MPAA's Internet lobbying more
generally. SOPA and its sister bill PIPA were
both definitively killed off earlier this year
after an overwhelming campaign of online action by citizens and tech companies.

Dodd sounded chastened, with a tone that was a
far cry from the rhetoric the MPAA was putting
out in January. "When SOPA-PIPA blew up, it was a
transformative event," said Dodd. "There were
eight million e-mails [to elected
representatives] in two days." That caused
senators to run away from the legislation.
"People were dropping their names as co-sponsors
within minutes, not hours," he said.

"These bills are dead, they're not coming back,"
said Dodd. "And they shouldn't." He said the MPAA
isn't focused on getting similar legislation
passed in the future, at the moment. "I think
we're better served by sitting down [with the
tech sector and SOPA opponents] and seeing what we agree on."

Still, Dodd did say that some of the reaction to
SOPA and PIPA was "over the top"—specifically,
the allegations of censorship, implied by the
black bar over Google search logo or the complete
shutdown of Wikipedia. "DNS filtering goes on
every day on the Internet," said Dodd. "Obviously
it needs to be done very carefully. But five
million pages were taken off Google last year
[for IP violations]. To Google's great credit, it
recently changed its algorithm to a point where,
when there are enough complaints about a site, it
moves that site down on their page—which I applaud."

Dodd also continued to laud the "six strikes"
plan that US Internet providers have agreed to
enforce on behalf of the entertainment industry,
insisting that it's an "educational" program
aimed at illegal downloads. "If people are aware
they're downloading illegal content, they'll go
to a legal service," he said. "It's an experiment
to see if we can get cooperation. It's not a law—you don't go to jail."

The MPAA won't have any kind of back-door to
subscriber records at Verizon or other ISPs, Dodd said.

After the event, an EFF attorney in the audience
asked, "Why wasn't that spirit of cooperation in
the room when SOPA was drafted?"

"I don't know," answered Dodd. "There was no
widespread conversation." Dodd seemed to think
SOPA just wasn't seen as particularly
controversial when it was first introduced, with
nearly half the Senate listed as co-sponsors.
"Going after foreign, rogue sites was not seen as
an illegitimate idea," he noted. The bill may
have been seen as an easy vote, until stiff resistance was seen in January.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer