[LINK] Upsurge in Australian Spam

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Oct 16 08:28:21 AEDT 2012

Normally about ten Spam messages get through my filter each day. But on
Monday there were 68.

These were made up mostly of copies of three messages. Two claimed to be
from Telstra BigPond (which I don't use), the first to say my credit
card authorisation had failed and the second to confirm a Telstra
Business Broadband Cancellation Order Acknowledgement. The third was
supposed to be from PayPal Australia, asking me to update my profile.

While I was training the spam filter to block these messages, about a
dozen more arrived. None have got through the spam filter since.

All the messages were very plausible and are likely to fool someone who
used these services and was in a hurry.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/