[LINK] The Smart Meters are coming to get us!

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:32:17 AEDT 2012

On 18 October 2012 12:56, Dr Bob Jansen <bob.jansen at turtlelane.com.au> wrote:
> My experience in Sydney with smart meters in our last place (a converted factory building) is that my bill went up. So I find the claim that smart meters will help to reduce our bills 'interesting'. I noticed that the peak time tariff was the killer. It's difficult turning things off during peak times cause that's why they are called peak times. In off peak, things were simpler because, basically, off peak means sleep time amd hence things are off by definition.
>
> Just another way to screw the consumer.
>
> When will this focus on the bottom line and increasing yearly profits stop? After I'm dead maybe?

As somebody who has seen my power bill grow substantially to pay for
the network expansion needed to cater to peak use, I don't have a lot
of sympathy.
I would much rather have regulated time of use metering across the
board, with pricing set independently (acknowledging this would be
next to impossible in reality) than customers who run the air-con at
full tilt on hot day peaks because they pay the same per kWh any time.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs