[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Apr 13 19:15:14 AEST 2013

At 11:33 AM 13/04/2013, David Boxall wrote:

>Six months after the election: "Good heavens, this is all going to cost
>quintillions. Let's see whether one of our nice mates in business will
>take it off our hands."
>
>Designed to fail.

Pity KRudd didn't mention that in his twitter battle:

Wannabes in Twitter skirmish

Deborah Gough
Published: April 13, 2013 - 3:50PM

Would-be leaders Malcolm Turnbull and Kevin Rudd
had a Twitter skirmish on Saturday in the battle
of the broadband policies for their respective parties.

It started on Friday when @KRuddMP tweeted about
living five kilometre from Brisbane: "Under
Abbott, much of my community gets zero upgrade".

By 10am on Saturday, @TurnbullMalcolm took him to
task: "@KRuddMP not correct Our plan will improve
your area's bband speeds by taking it from adsl
to vdsl most wd have 50 megs - 25 is the
minimum." (Translation better speeds are
achievable by changing the digital line type).

Then it was on – tweet-for-tweet – between the
two MPs and a third party, the anonymous tweeter @geeksrulz.

@geeksrulz chimed in at 10.18am with:
"@TurnbullMalcolm Your 25 to 50 are not
achievable over 5kms from exchange via copper @KRuddMP."

In a retaliatory missive, the Opposition
communication's spokesman, Mr Turnbull replied at
10.22am: "@geeksrulz @kruddmp 25 is the minimum.
vdsl fttn (fibre to the node) delivers much higher speeds for most customers."

Then Mr Turnbull reloaded at 11.16am: "@geeksrulz
@kruddmp of course. That's why you take the fibre
further into field and so reduce cu (copper) length considerably."

Mr Rudd, the former prime minister, got back into
the fray at 11.37am: "@TurnbullMalcolm Hi
Malcolm. Mate, so for 75% our cost, you get 25%
the speed, a $5k hit per household, and its up a year before ours?"

Then he fired again at 12.04pm: "@TurnbullMalcolm
Malcolm, if it looks like a sloth, moves like
sloth, it probably is a sloth of a policy. I like sloths. But not for BB."

Firing back, Mr Turnbull replied at 12.13:
"@KRuddMP a sloth wd be ashamed by your NBN
project which after four years hasn't even
managed to activate 20,000 premises."

Stand-up comedian and cartoonist Jason Chatfield
got the last word: "Thanks for giving us
cartoonists some material for tomorrow. Cheers."

This story was found at:
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/wannabes-in-twitter-skirmish-20130413-2hs1s.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer