[LINK] Spam filters may increase government unclaimed account revenue

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Apr 17 10:06:26 AEST 2013

This week I noticed an email in my Spam folder warning that if I did not
send my details, unclaimed money in my bank account would be transferred
to the government. The message contained the word "advices" so I thought
it was a badly worded scam. I was about to press the "Junk" button to
tell the system to block future such messages, when I noticed it was
from my financial adviser. It turned out this was a genuine message.

Australian banks are required to send the government any money in an
account which has not been used for three years. Had I not read the
email, my money would have disappeared. How much money is going to the
government because the unclaimed account notices look like Spam?

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/