[LINK] A bizarre twist on a twist - unreal online persona hi-jacked

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Apr 18 15:20:45 AEST 2013

At 02:52 PM 18/04/2013, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>When ProfHacker creates a fictional story on-line and then others add to
>it, seemingly done in ProfHacker's name, who owns what?
>
>Ownership in the digital universe is problematic, to say the least.

I think that's what a mash-up is -- multiple creators in a digital
environment. But you could ask the same question of a standard news
article with multiple editors between the original journo and the
final result. I doubt very much if there are many pure single author
situations any more, which is why ownership of copy is signed over to
the masthead publisher.

Check out this newly released set of guidelines around digital
resources. You'll note mention of acknowledgement of a range of
people, not just the traditional single/joint authorship. Multi-media
also comes into this, usually known of course.

http://www.mla.org/resources/documents/rep_it/web_guidelines

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com