[LINK] NBNCo Report

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Apr 22 08:12:01 AEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>wrote:

> Just goes to show, the increase is to be expected in the novelty period,
> same when 300mb a  month was average for dialup, 3 GB was average for
> cable, and I doubt the 31GB for DSL is even real, unless your a warez
> kid, because the average DSL used to be around 10-15GB, so more NBN
> fictitious inflations, but I guess all the kids screaming for NBN are
> mostly all pirates anyway.

You make some interesting assumptions. I have a 2mbit DSL connection [1]
and a 10 and 11 year old. They easily download more than 3gb of data each a
day during weekends and school holidays and when I check my netflow logs it
is all iview and YouTube. I am _very_ sure they aren't torrenting. I would
expect a faster link speed would increase my download rate as video
resolutions would increase.

(Overall, the household downloads about 270gb a month, but I work from home
so that skews things a little.)

Michael

1: as reported by speedtest.net style tests.