[LINK] Geolocation of Au citizen data

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Oct 2 11:20:49 AEST 2013

On 2/10/2013 10:37 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 10:24 AM 2/10/2013, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> Some consumers might be interested in the potential impact of the
>> Patriot Act on the data that Amazon holds on behalf of its business/org
>> users.
>>
>> We all have complete trust in overseas governments, don't we?
> Now *that* question was asked and he answered that it was ASIO in the
> case of Australia, which can pretty much do what it wants. His
> solution was to encrypt everything.

Easy to say, harder to do. If we are talking about SQL databases rather
than folders with documents then you would need to build the encryption
into the data access layer.

This means two things.

1. you probably can't just shift an existing application into the cloud.
2. the bad guys would just take a copy of the whole environment,
application, data access layer, infrastructure and all, and run it in
their own closed environment which, being standard, should not be hard
to duplicate.

I don't know how realistic all this worry about bad guys stealing data
is, but if you put your data in a cloud, things are different from them
being in your own environment.

Caveat emptor.

--

Regards