[LINK] Australian Patents

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Dec 6 06:46:11 AEDT 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Kim Davies <kim at cynosure.com.au> wrote:

> Or, perhaps because Australia doesn’t have the same legal climate as in
> the US where your IT company will get dragged into court in Marshall, Texas
> unless you file thousands of meaningless patents for defensive purposes.
>
> It is an entirely an apples to oranges comparison, which the article
> acknowledges in passing that people don’t actually sue in Australia over IP
> rights like they do in the US. Why it then gives credence to the tenet that
> patent count is a good metric for innovation is beyond me.

That completely ignores the value of those patents.  More than a few
startups (and not so startups!) have been purchased simply because of the
value of their patents.

Whether you agree with the way patents currently work in many parts of the
world or not, ignoring them means leaving significant money on the table
which is not a good way to run a company, large or small.

  Scott