[LINK] OT? Re: Australian Patents

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at zoho.com
Sat Dec 6 18:44:17 AEDT 2014

---- On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:20:20 Jan writes ----

> At 11:01 AM 6/12/2014, Bob wrote:
>>
>> My view of patenting is that it is only worth the effort if you can afford it in the first place, then can detect when the idea is abused and then can afford to enforce the patent. So any small startup may not have the cash to patent in the first place but if they subsequently can not afford to enforce the patent then what is the point in the first place. From memory, there have been many accounts of large companies just out-paying the patent holder and so the protection is worthless.
>
> I would think this expense would be figured into the VC arrangements. After all, the VCs also want that IP protected or else their return is useless. Of course, that is assuming the start-up has that sort of backing available. Jan

I think Team Australia should make Au patent applications free.

Free for Aussie citizens anyway. The same as copyright is free.

Maybe with some percentage taxation for any, and all, income
such free patents generate. But also with free legal-aid to fight
any patent disputes once granted. So, as well as a GST, have a
PST (Patent Services Tax) on the income derived from the patent
for the free Aussie citizen patent option. Be quite popular metinks?

Eg: http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/get-the-right-ip/patents/apply-for-a-patent

Apply For A Patent:

"Applying Online: The online application facility provides you with an easy-to-use and secure system for the electronic filing and management of a range of applications and documents relating to patents."

Cheers,
Stephen