[LINK] NYT: Snowden is a whistleblower and should be offered a plea to return home

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Thu Jan 2 16:21:57 AEDT 2014

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> On 2/01/2014 2:30 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> Great, well researched editorial with lots of links
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/opinion/edward-snowden-whistle-blower.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
> Demonstrates that Law is not the same as Justice.
>
>   From the Law Report this week on Radio National
>
> "The US now has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. Our
> prison population has grown from about 300,000 in 1972 to 2.3 million
> today. We have an additional 5 million people on probation and parole.
> We have five per cent of the world’s population and 25 per cent of the
> world’s incarcerated population, so they are the highest rates on the
> planet."

Note that the US prison system has been privatised and is run for
profit. This has resulted in a higher incarceration rate. It has also resulted
in inmate lawsuits against the system due to malnutrition. Nothing like
saving costs and increasing profits.

The incarceration rate is nearly 1 per 100 head of population, definitely 1% for the
adult population. By far the majority of inmates are black.

Happy New Year in spite of it all.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

Anybody who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
      -- Samuel Goldwyn