[LINK] Big Data - bad or otherwise

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 17 16:52:12 AEDT 2014

Janet writes,

> Here is an education student data proposal.
> Apologies if this has already been linked.
> Building a Student Data Infrastructure: Privacy, Transparency and the
Gates
> Foundation-Funded inBloom
> <http://hackeducation.com/2013/02/10/inbloom-student-data-privacy-
security-transparency/>

An interesting link Janet. Thanks.

So, as this link notes, the reasonably widely respected "do-good" Gates
Foundation is now also involved in the creation/promotion of opensource
education-data software infrastructures. <https://www.inbloom.org>

A lofty aim. However as this link also notes, one fraught with concerns.

As the writer notes, "After all, it’s a project with some $100 million in
funding from the Gates and Carnegie Foundations and built (in part) by News
Corp-owned Wireless Generation, with a new CEO who comes from Promethean,
maker of interactive whiteboards."

Both NewsCorp & Promethean are strongly profit-driven with somewhat dodgy
reputations in the past for their openness, and any charitable heartiness.

But, from personal experience, any such software for education could well
be very useful. So time will tell if this is simply a grab for the entire
education/school big data records of a generation of young people, or one
useful, private & secure education record-keeping software infrastructure.

Thus, I would suggest Aussie schools etc NOT jump on board quite just yet,
as this link writer also 'suggests' regarding our children's edu-big-data.

(Link Quote ..)

Building an Student Data Infrastructure

The Shared Learning Collaborative, a Gates Foundation-funded initiative,
rebranded itself this week. There’s a new name — inBloom, Inc. — but the
mission and plans remain the same, the new non-profit insists.

That mission is to build an open source, cloud-based education data
infrastructure in the hopes of addressing a number of problems schools
face: the lack of data interoperability between the various databases and
software systems that they utilize and the merits of spending money to
update outdated administrative IT (versus, say, buying instructional — or
other — tech and/or versus spending money on something altogether non-
tech).

While we’re seeing an explosion in the number of technology tools that
schools utilize (hardware, software, apps, the Web), these tend not to
“talk” to one another nor to the student information systems that store
students’ education records. That makes for a lot of bureaucratic
inefficiencies with teachers and staff manually downloading, uploading, re-
entering student information — rosters, grades, and so on — into various
applications. All this also means that it’s difficult to build a full
profile on students and to track and support their progress.

The latter is of increasing interest to schools and to states and to
service providers, particularly now that education is supposed to be more
“data driven.”

Concerns about Sharing and Storing Student Data

“Data driven” — that’s code for more standardized testing, some folks fear.
More testing, more hiring and firing of teachers based on testing, more
surveillance. In that light, it’s no surprise that the Shared Learning
Collaborative — now iBloom — has faced some pushback from those who link it
to corporate education reform, After all, it’s a project with some $100
million in funding from the Gates and Carnegie Foundations and built (in
part) by News Corp-owned Wireless Generation, with a new CEO who comes from
Promethean, maker of interactive whiteboards.

A number of organizations — the Massachusetts ACLU, the Massachusetts state
PTA, the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, Class Size Matters, and
others — have expressed their concerns about the project, arguing that the
initiative will have schools sharing “confidential student and teacher
information with the Gates Foundation. The information to be shared will
likely include student names, test scores, grades, disciplinary and
attendance records, special education and free lunch status.” According to
Leonie Haimson, executive director of the NYC organization Class Size
Matters, this data grab by the Shared Learning Collaborative — now inBloom
— is “unprecedented.”

Haimson contends that this initiative, currently being piloted in 9 states
(Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts,
New York, and North Carolina), has been undertaken without parental consent
and furthermore will open access to students’ data to third-party vendors,
again, without parental consent. “‘Open access,’ ‘open source’ and ‘open
this’ and ‘open that,’” Haimson told me in a phone interview on Friday,
suggesting that the interest in student data was more about “opening for
business” and appealing to startups than it was addressing a demand by
teachers or parents.

Haimson also cites concerns about privacy and security in the cloud, as
schools move their data storage and servers from a local to a virtualized
environment, pointing to inBloom’s privacy and security policies that state
that the company “cannot guarantee the security of the information stored
in inBloom or that the information will not be intercepted when it is being
transmitted.” “I wonder if NY state and the other states involved realize
that they may be vulnerable for multi-million dollar class action lawsuits
if and when this highly sensitive data leaks out,” Haimson wrote in a
recent blog post, “especially since Gates and inBloom appear to have
disclaimed all responsibility for its safety.” ..

Thanks, Janet
Stephen Loosley

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server