[LINK] WiFi Blocking Kettle Cosy

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Jan 18 09:30:01 AEDT 2014

		LINK INSTITUTE
		   LINKGRAM

Dateline Petrograd, 17 January 2014: Professor Klerphell, director of
The link institute has announced the design of a security device to
block signals from WiFi bugs planted in appliances imported into Russia.

Russian authorities have reported finding WiFi bugs planted in kettles
and other household appliances:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/29/dont_brew_that_cuppa_your_kettle_could_be_a_spambot/

The Link Institute have responded with a design for a kettle cover,
knitted from steel wool. The steel mesh forms a "Faraday cage" over the
kettle, blocking signals. A filter is also installed in the kettle cord
to block signals sent over the mains wiring.

Klerphell denied that the cosy idea was adapted from a cold war research
into a radio wave blocking beanie, designed to stop the KGB beaming
signals to the brain. He said: "Scammers are trying to pull the wool
over our eyes, so we have responded in kind.".

Staff in Russian government agencies and corporations are reported to
have been ordered to get knitting, to stop data theft.

Stainless steel cored wool is readily available:
http://habutextiles.com/A-148

;-)

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/